Oops! Stiamo ancora lavorando alla traduzione in italiano dei contenuti da inserire in questa pagina ecco perchè appare in inglese. Ci scusiamo per l'inconveniente e speriamo di aver pronta la versione tradotta al più presto.

Register for a SIN

If you're planning to work in Canada, you'll need a SIN

Planning to work in Canada? If so, you will need a Social Insurance Number (SIN). A SIN is a unique 9-digit number issued by Canadian Government arm ‘Service Canada' for tax purposes.

You will need a SIN before you can get a job in Canada so it's worth looking into this before you travel.

At taxback.com we can:

  • Apply for your first SIN
  • Apply for a replacement SIN card in the event that yours was lost or stolen
  • Apply for a date change for your SIN expiry
  • Update your records with Service Canada.

A SIN is needed by both Canadian residents and non residents in order to get a job, apply for a Canadian tax refund, or receive any government benefits.

If you've got any questions that aren't answered here, or you'd like to talk to someone about your refund now, Chat Live online with our staff via instant messenger.

Why do I need to apply for a Social Insurance Number (SIN)?

If you are a Canadian citizen, a newcomer to Canada or a temporary resident, you need a SIN to work in Canada or to receive benefits and services from any Government programmes. To be eligible for getting a SIN, you must be 12 years of age or older.

How much does it cost?

For SIN application we charge a flat fee of CA$10.00. The fee is paid before providing the completed SIN application form and application instructions to the customer. 

Can I get one SIN for my family?

No. Each of the eligible family members should apply for his or her individual SIN. Each SIN is issued to one person only and cannot be legally used by anyone else.

Can I get SIN for my newborn child?

Yes. You can apply for a SIN for your newborn if the child was born in Alberta, British Columbia, Ontario, Nova Scotia, Quebec or Manitoba but only if you are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident. If you are a temporary resident in Canada, you still may be able to get a SIN for your child but you should contact Service Canada to get advice on your situation.

Does the SIN expire?

Canadian citizens and permanent residents are issued with permanent SIN cards, which do not have an expiration date. Temporary visitors in Canada are issued with temporary SIN cards, which have an expiration date which is written on the front of the card. The validity period of temporary SINs varies.

I have a temporary SIN, which is due to expire soon. What should I do?

You must file a new SIN application, which will extend your SIN validation period. In this case, you will keep your number, but will be issued with a new SIN card containing a new expiration date. You should note that Service Canada has a processing time of approximately 10 to 20 days for issuing new SIN cards, so you should file your application before your existing card expires.

I had a temporary SIN card before, but it expired. Should I apply for new one?

Yes. You must apply for a new SIN as well as providing your expired one to Service Canada. Depending on the case, they may assign a new SIN to you, or issue a new SIN card with your old SIN and a new expiration date.

I changed my residential status from temporary visitor to permanent resident. Should I apply for a new permanent SIN?

Yes. A new permanent SIN may be assigned to you, or a new SIN card with the same number, but without an expiration date may be issued.

I legally changed my name. Should I apply for a new SIN?

Yes. You should file a new SIN application to reflect your new details.

I have never been in Canada, but I have income from Canada. Do I need to apply for SIN?

Generally, a SIN is needed only if you have employment income, sourced from Canada. If you have any other type of Canadian income, it's likely that Service Canada won't assign a SIN to you.

If I cannot get a SIN, what should I do?

If you are not eligible to get a SIN but you still need to file a Canadian tax return, you may apply for an Individual Tax Number (ITN). This can also be organised by taxback.com.

From the Blog