Use Our Calculator
Apply for a Refund

Canadian Tax Returns for Non-Canadians

If you are on a temporary visa and working in Canada, you should file a Canadian tax return each year. The Canadian tax year runs from January 1st to December 31st, but you should file your tax return before April 30th each year.

At we will:

  • Review your personal circumstances to see if you’re eligible to claim any tax deductible expenses
  • Ensure you get the maximum legal tax refund and remain compliant with your visa conditions
  • Determine whether you are a resident or non-resident for tax purposes in Canada so we can file the right tax return for you.
  • Track down your T4 or any other missing payment documents (we can request these from your employer on your behalf).
  • Provide you with a free online account where you can track the progress of your tax return and upload your documents
  • If you have left Canada, we will send your refund to you anywhere in the world

If you've got any questions that aren't answered here, or you'd like to talk to someone about your refund now, Chat Live online with our staff via instant messenger.

When can I get my tax back?

The Canadian tax year is from January 1st to December 31st and you have up to ten years to claim a tax refund from Canada.

For 2016 Canada tax refunds: If you're working in Canada this year we can apply for your tax refund from mid February 2017. Register online today and send us your documents when you finish work so we can claim your tax back as soon as possible.

For 2012 – 2015 Canadian tax refunds: If you worked in Canada anytime between 2012 and 2015 we can claim your Canadian tax back now! For years prior to 2012, please apply for your tax refund now and we will let you know if you meet the Tax Office's requirements for a tax refund. For years prior to 2012, get in touch and we will check if you meet the Tax Office’s requirements for a tax refund.

How much money will I get back? will get you back as much overpaid Canadian tax as is legally possible. That amount depends on factors like:

  • Your visa
  • Your earnings
  • How long you worked for
  • How much time you spent skiing instead of working

The average refund we get for our Canadian non-residents is $998.

Try our FREE online tax refund calculator to see how much cash you could get back!

How long will it take to receive my Canadian tax refund? Where's my refund?

As soon as we have it, you'll have it, because we contact you immediately when we receive your refund from the tax office to organise the easiest way to get it to you.

You can watch the step-by-step progress of your application on your online account. It'll go something like this:

Once we get your documents it takes us just one working week to prepare your Canadian tax return. This involves:

  • Receiving and checking the documents
  • Estimating your refund
  • Completing your forms
  • Sending them to the tax office

Once at the Canadian Revenue Agency, your application takes between two and six months for the tax office to process, depending on how busy they are. But don't worry - our tax team will keep chasing the tax office to see how your application is progressing.

As soon as the tax office sends us your refund we'll contact you to sort out the best way to get your cash straight to you.

The total estimated time for your Canadian tax rebate is 2-6 months.

How do I know what's happening with my tax return?

You can follow the progress of your Canada tax return on your online tracking account. This allows you to see every step of your application. As soon as we have your refund we'll contact you to sort out the best way to get your money straight to you.

Rather talk to a person? We have our own staff available to talk to you in 27 offices in 20 different countries. Click here to find your local office number or use our Live Chat.

What are the advantages of using

Thousands of people choose our service because:

  • We get you the maximum legal refund
  • FREE online refund estimations
  • Every customer gets a Personal Online Tracking Account – you can follow your tax return every step of the way
  • All our Canadian tax returns are legal and compliant with Canada's tax laws.
  • Document retrieval service
  • 24-hour customer support and tax refund help
  • Free phone, free fax, free post, free online tax help with our live chat!
  • Multi-lingual service
  • Money sent worldwide and in your local currency.

How much will it cost?

Canadian Tax Services for non-Canadians

No upfront fee payment is required. Essentially, you never have to put your hand in your pocket as we only deduct our fee from the refund amount once it has been secured from the tax office.

For Canadian tax refunds we charge per tax year 12,5% + handling fee of the refund received subject to a minimum fee of $62,50 + handling fee.

If you require document retrieval services for your Canada tax refund, our fee for this is CA$20 + handling fee per document.

Oops - I lost my documents/Help - I never got my documents – what do I do?

We know it's easy to lose documents in the move back home or to not even receive them in the first place. That's why we have a dedicated document retrieval team who deal with employers all over the world and can organise replacement documents for you.

You'll find a declaration form authorising us to do this in your Canada TaxPack, or if you no longer have it, click here to download another one.

What is a T4?

To file your Canadian tax return we'll need either your T4 or your final payslip. The T4 is the official government form you'll receive from your employer at the end of the tax year. It outlines your earnings and the amount of tax you paid. You should receive it by the end of February but if you don't, it's no problem - our document retrieval team can sort it out for you.

What is a final cumulative payslip?

We can use either your final cumulative payslip or your T4 to claim back Canadian tax for you. Your final cumulative payslip is the payslip attached to your last pay cheque. It shows your year-to-date earnings and how much tax you've paid.

If you don't have your final cumulative payslip or your T4, our document retrieval team can help get copies for you.

Help! I don't have my Social Insurance Number - what do I do?

To claim your Canadian tax rebate we'll need your Social Insurance Number. If you don't have it, ask your employer or visa sponsor as they should have a record of your number. No luck? We might be able to get you an Individual Tax Number instead so contact us at to see what we can do for you.

Can I do it myself?

Every tax office in the world is set up to accept applications directly from taxpayers so yes, you can file your return yourself. The reality is though once you submit it, there's no updating process and no feedback until you get a yes or a no, which is frustrating and very worrying.

Preparing your Canadian tax return will involve getting all the tax forms and trying to put all the information together properly – and it's not as easy as it looks.

The tax system in Canada is very complex and filing their own tax return is a challenge that many Canadian citizens don't even attempt themselves.

Our customers rely on us as technical professionals to file their Canadian returns and get their tax back. Our customers tell us they knew trying to file it themselves would lead to stress and a possible loss of money in refunds. They'd rather focus on their university courses, their day-job or, more importantly, on their skiing.

It's easier for you to let us put our years of experience filing tax returns to good use by doing all the work for you. It makes sense to use an expert.

Just use our FREE online refund calculator to see how much tax you could get back.

I worked abroad in other countries - can you help me to claim refunds from these countries?

Absolutely! We've been organising tax refunds for people working all over the world since 1996. We provide tax refunds for 16 different services. Visit our website to learn more.

Can you guarantee that I'll receive the refund amount you estimated for me?

No, but we do guarantee to get you the most money back that we legally can.

Our estimate is based on your documents and our experience in filing thousands of tax returns every week since 1996. Naturally, the Canadian tax authority has the final decision in your tax refund based on their systems and tax codes.

When our tax technicians prepare and file your return, they check for any allowances or benefits you could get and ensure we apply for the maximum rebate possible.

From the Blog